Memrise Technology and Main Features
Memrise is a language learning platform that incorporates interactive and gamified methods to maximize the experience. It utilizes videos, practical phrases, and immersive techniques, providing a more realistic and useful experience.
One of the strongest suits of Memrise is its courses are designed by native speakers, giving learners a chance to learn from those who are familiar with the nuances, culture, and complexities of the language. Combined with an immersive experience, students can learn as if they are within the culture itself.
This platform offers courses in 23 different languages in one account. Users learn with the help of technology and science-based teaching methods to improve the quality of learning. It can be used on desktop or mobile.
A Brief History of Memrise
- 2010 – Memrise was founded by Ben Whately, Ed Cooke, and Greg Detre.
- 2011 – The company participated in an accelerator program.
- 2012 – Memrise went through a seed round and an early-stage VC round.
- 2018 – It participated in another accelerator program, as well as a later-stage VC round.
- 2020 – The company received funding through a later-stage VC round.
Founders and Key People
- Ben Whately
Ben Whately is a co-founder and the Chief Product Officer at Memrise. Before this role, he served as the Chief Operations Officer. He also worked at CatAcademy, Guinness Atkinson Asset Management, and founded Off Jermyn Street.
He obtained his master’s degree in Experimental psychology from the University of Oxford. His main skills include entrepreneurship, blogging, and social media.
- Edward Cooke
Edward Cooke is a co-founder and the Executive Chairman at Memrise. He has been with the company since its establishment in September 2010.
He studied Cognitive Science at Universite de Paris, Researched Philosophy of Cricket at Macquarie University, and obtained a degree in Bachelor of Science in Psychology and Philosophy at the University of Oxford.
- Greg Detre
Greg Detre is a co-founder at Memrise. He is currently the Chief Product and Technology Officer of Filtered.He obtained a degree in Philosophy and Psychology from Oxford University, studied at Harvard University as a visiting student of artificial intelligence, and graduated with a Ph.D. in Psychology and Neuroscience from Princeton University.
- Steven Toy
Steven Toy is the current Chief Executive Officer at Memrise. He was also the former Chief Operations Officer in the company. He has worked in other companies such as Apalon, Tax Chat, and Fareportal. He obtained a bachelor’s degree in Economics.
Memrise Capital Acquired and Finances
Memrise was able to raise around $21.8 million through seven funding rounds. It currently has 12 investors, three of them are lead investors. Their lead investors are Korelya Capital, Octopus Ventures, and Future Fifty.
Its latest capital round during a Series B funding was participated by six investors including one lead investor. It acquired its highest amount raised so far ($15.6 million).
- Duolingo – https://www.duolingo.com/
- Mrs. Wordsmith – https://us.www.mrswordsmith.com/
- Wowzers – https://wowzers.com/
- New Oriental Education & Technology – https://www.neworiental.org/english/
 – https://www.memrise.com/
 – https://pitchbook.com/profiles/company/53862-94#overview
 – https://www.linkedin.com/in/ben-whately-13761524/
 – https://www.linkedin.com/in/edwardcooke1/?originalSubdomain=uk
 – https://www.linkedin.com/in/gregdetre/?originalSubdomain=uk
 – https://www.linkedin.com/in/stevenctoy/
 – https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/memrise/company_financials
Leave a Reply