Startup Idea and Innovation of Brainly
Brainly  is a knowledge-sharing platform that connects students with experts and peers for help with studies. This electronic learning service assists in developing and fortifying skills. Subjects include math, history, science, English, SATs, geography, arts, business, and technology.
It also offers the Textbook Detective service, which provides help in answering textbook problems. Users can ask questions and request explanations to understand lessons better.
The platform makes its services available through its network of websites and mobile applications for accessibility. Its apps are available on Android and iOS. Learners have the option to upgrade to Brainly Plus for unlimited access, faster answers, and no advertisements.
Startup Timeline and History of Brainly
- 2009 – Brainly was founded by Lukasz Haluch, Michal Borkowski, and Tomasz Kraus.
- 2012 – The company received funds through a seed round.
- 2014 – It received early-stage venture capital in October 2014.
- 2016 – A later-stage venture capitalist invested in the company in May 2016 through the Series B round.
- 2017 – The company received another later-stage venture capital in October 2017 during the Series B1 round.
- 2019 – A later-stage venture capital was received by Brainly in July 2019 through the Series C round.
- 2020 – Another later-stage venture capital was funneled to the company in December 2020.
Founder and Key People
- Lukasz Haluch
Lukasz Haluch is a co-founder of Brainly, Picodi, Paraloscuriousos, and IT Developers S.C. Aside from the learning platform, the other organizations he helped establish are focused on aiding people to get discounts, lifestyle content, and tech. He obtained his Master’s degree in Information Technology and Econometrics from Wyzsza Szkola Informatyki I Zarzadzania q Rzeszowie.
- Michal Borkowski
Michal Borkowski is another co-founder of Brainly. He serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the company, which he has been doing for 13 years. He obtained his Bachelor of Corporate Finance degree from SGH Warsaw School of Economics.
- Tomasz Kraus
Tomasz Kraus is another co-founder of Brainly. He also served as Board Observer, Chief Product Officer, and Chief Technology Officer of the company. Before establishing Brainly, he was an Engineering Manager at Tippo Interactive, Early Investor at Allani, Co-Founder at IT Developers S.C., and Co-Founder and CEO at Joymile. He is also a Co-Founder at Picodi.
He studied at AGH University of Technology for his Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, and Master of Science in Computer Science degrees.
Funding Sources and Financial Profile
Brainly has acquired a total of $148.5 million in funding over six funding rounds. It received millions during the Series A, B, B1, C, and D rounds. It has three lead investors namely Learn Capital and Prosus and Naspers. It received its biggest fund ($81 million) during its most recent round.
Its most recent investment round was participated by Runa Capital, Prosus Ventures, Learn Capital, General Catalyst, and Manta Ray Ventures. Other investors are General Catalyst and Point Nine.
- ShowMe – https://www.showme.com/
- Intrepid Learning – https://www.intrepidlearning.com/
- Sophia Learning – https://www.sophia.org/
- WeAreTeachers – https://www.weareteachers.com/